1/17/2009

Calm

Today, I was thinking about my previous study on gentleness and thinking about what I had learned. I realized as I was thinking about it I had intermixed gentleness and calm. Being gentle and being calm are two different things. They are similar and I desire to have both in my life in moderation.

I decided to look up both in the dictionary.

Gentleness means:
kindly; amiable; not severe, rough, or violent; moderate; gradual; characteristic of good birth; honorable; respectable; easily handled or managed; tractable; soft or low; polite; refined; noble; chivalrous.

Calm means:
without rough motion; still or nearly still; without rough motion; still or nearly still; free from excitement or passion; tranquil; freedom from motion or disturbance; stillness; freedom from agitation, excitement, or passion; tranquility; serenity;

They are similar looking at it I realized not only do I desire to be gentle but I also desire to be calm in certain situations. I went to my Bible to see what I could find on calm. Most of the references were of when Jesus calmed the sea when the disciples and him were on the boat; the disciples woke him to calm the sea.

I did find one other one which is in Proverbs.

Proverbs: 17:27
It says: (New King James Version)

"He who has knowledge spares his words. And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit."

In my quest to be more gentle and more calm I find that I am needing to gain knowledge and understanding. With knowledge comes the ability to find different words to use in different situations so that I can find different words to use that don't sound harsh and in gaining understanding it will help me in my quest to be more calm, with calm - to be more gentle.

1 comment:

SLMW8MAN said...

Very interesting study. May you find your calm.